Mental Health Advocacy

Mental Health Advocacy:

This is available to anyone resident in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland who has mental health needs and wishes to access or question the support provided my mental health services.

This may involve:

  • Helping you to express your needs and wishes to your General Practitioner or consultant psychiatrist
  • Asking for a review of your care and treatment
  • Seeking information on your behalf about your care and treatment.

Our 2016 leaflet

Make a referral for Advocacy

In most cases, we need to speak directly to the user of our service to advocate for them.

You can contact us by telephoning our office between 9am and 5pm Monday- Friday (except bank holidays): 0116 2556286.

Our team members will discuss your needs during this call and if possible suggest approaches or action that you could take. We may also provide information on other local services that could help.

If you wish to refer by email or letter, please ensure you include your full name, address, postcode, and date of birth. It is important that you explain what problems you are having in accessing support for your mental health needs in the email or letter.
65 Regent Road
Leicester LE1 6YF
Please note we are unable to see unexpected callers at our office without an appointment. 

Self –Advocacy

If you need to ask for help:

Write down or ask a friend or family member to record what problems you have. This could be given to the health care worker you meet with.

If you think you know what might help, say so.

Ask a friend or family member to go with you to your appointment to support you.

Dr’s or Nurses may ask for a large amount of information, this is part of their assessment of your needs and without this they may not be able to complete the process. A friend or family member may be able to answer some questions for you, but it is likely that the Dr or Nurse will need to ask you some questions directly.

Sometimes it may be necessary to explain your needs to several different healthcare workers. This is often necessary because different professionals have differing approaches to treatment options, and will need you to engage in this process to ensure an accurate assessment. 

Mental Health services In Leicester City, Leicestershire and Rutland

To access any mental health care, you should visit your GP practice. The Dr may be able to offer medication or talking therapy that may help your condition. Therapy that may be offered at the GP practice.

If the GP feels your needs are more complicated they may refer you to a psychiatrist. Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust provides this service. The psychiatrist will provide a specialist assessment of your needs and may suggest further treatment, often either medication or talking therapy. There may be a long waiting list for specialist, intensive therapy, often in excess of 6 months.

You may wish to consider accessing therapy through a private provider. There is normally a cost to this, but a lower fee could be negotiated with the therapist according to your means.

Psychiatrists are also available at local private clinics

Local therapists are listed by organisations such as:

If you have significant complex needs, you may need to be visited at home by a nurse or Dr from Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust Mental Health Services. The decision to refer for this will be made by the GP in conjunction with specialist staff.

In an emergency: Call your Dr or attend Accident and Emergency Department at Hospital.

Other Local Mental Health Advocacy Services

Care Act Advocacy:
In Leicestershire and Rutland- Age UK, provide this service

Independent Care Act Advocacy Service
Age UK Leicester Shire & Rutland
Lansdowne House
113 Princess Road
Leicester LE1 7LA
Telephone: 0116 2045110

NHS Complaints Advocacy:
In Leicester City and Leicestershire- POhWER, provide this service
0300 456 2370 or email

Carers Advocacy (Social Care Matters):
The Carers Centre provide this service locally.
You can call The Carers Centre between 9am and 4pm, Monday to Friday on (0116) 2510999, or email