The best project you will ever work on is yourself

Let’s talk
Formal Advocacy

Lamp offers a range of services designed to support individuals experiencing difficulties with their mental health, and those individuals or groups supporting them, within Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland.

Independent Mental Health Advocacy

Supporting people with mental health conditions to understand and exercise their rights.

IMHA is available to:

  • All patients detained under the MHA (except under section 4, 5 or in a place a safety under Section 135 or 136)
  • Anyone on Community Treatment Order (CTO)
  • Anyone under Guardianship
  • A Conditionally Discharged (restricted) patient
  • Anyone being considered for treatment under section 57 or someone under 18 being considered for treatment under section 58

This might include:

  • Helping the person apply to appeal
  • Expressing the persons wishes and needs to the health or social care professionals involved.

The IMHA has a right to:

  • Meet with the person in private
  • To meet with health and social care professionals on person’s behalf
  • Access the person’s records, on their behalf, in certain circumstances.

Lamp Advocates visit hospital settings regularly to meet qualifying patients. Referrals can also be made by:

  • The patient themselves
  • Nearest relative
  • Care staff
  • Other concerned individual such as friend or carer

Carers Advocacy

Who is a Carer?
A carer is anyone looking after or providing physical and/or emotional support to an adult loved one, a friend, a neighbour or a relative with a mental health need, where the care they provide is not part of their regular employment.

Services available:

  • We listen to the challenges you are facing in your caring role.
  • We provide information on your rights as a carer to help you make an informed decision.
  • We can attend meetings or care reviews with you, speak on your behalf and ensure that your views are heard.
  • We show you different services available to you and how to navigate the mental health system.
  • We can also refer or signpost you to other services that may support you further.
  • We also provide Carer’s groups, which you can find more information about by clicking here.

Referral process:
Anyone in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland who is a carer and requires advocacy for mental health related issues can self-refer. We can only take a referral from a third party if you have authorised them to contact us on your behalf.

Care Act and Social Care Advocacy

Care Act Advocacy:

  • Supports people to access assessment, planning and review of their social care and support in relation to their mental health needs. This would involve advocacy to Adult Social Care (Adult Social Services), part of Leicester City Council.
  • Anyone who would have substantial difficulty in being involved in this process is entitled to advocacy under the Care Act. They should be referred to Lamp if they do not have anyone else to support them in making decisions about their care and support.
  • Anyone who is subject to safeguarding measures who would have substantial difficulty being involved in the process is also entitled to advocacy under the Care Act.

Mental Health Advocacy

This is available to anyone resident in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland who has mental health needs and wishes to access or question the support provided my mental health services.

This may involve:

  • Helping you to express your needs and wishes to your General Practitioner or consultant psychiatrist
  • Asking for a review of your care and treatment
  • Seeking information on your behalf about your care and treatment.

Mental Health Services in Leicester City, Leicestershire and Rutland

  • To access any mental health care, you should visit your GP practice. The doctor may be able to offer medication or talking therapy that may help your condition. Therapy that may be offered at the GP practice.
  • If the GP feels your needs are more complicated they may refer you to a psychiatrist. Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust provides this service. The psychiatrist will provide a specialist assessment of your needs and may suggest further treatment, often either medication or talking therapy. There may be a long waiting list for specialist, intensive therapy, often in excess of 6 months.
  • You may wish to consider accessing therapy through a private provider. There is normally a cost to this, but a lower fee could be negotiated with the therapist according to your means. Psychiatrists are also available at local private clinics

Local therapists are listed by organisations such as:

  • BACP –
  • UKCP –

You can call The Carers Centre between 9am and 4pm, Monday to Friday on (0116) 2510999, or email


If you need to ask for help:

  • Write down or ask a friend or family member to record what problems you have. This could be given to the health care worker you meet with.
  • If you think you know what might help, say so.
  • Ask a friend or family member to go with you to your appointment to support you.
  • Doctors or Nurses may ask for a large amount of information, this is part of their assessment of your needs and without this they may not be able to complete the process. A friend or family member may be able to answer some questions for you, but it is likely that the doctor or Nurse will need to ask you some questions directly.
  • Sometimes it may be necessary to explain your needs to several different healthcare workers. This is often necessary because different professionals have differing approaches to treatment options, and will need you to engage in this process to ensure an accurate assessment.
  • If you have significant complex needs, you may need to be visited at home by a nurse or doctor from Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust Mental Health Services. The decision to refer for this will be made by the GP in conjunction with specialist staff.

In an emergency: Call your doctor or attend Accident and Emergency Department at Hospital.

Please note, we currently do not hold contracts to help with the following:

  • Benefits including PIP
  • Housing
  • Child Protection
  • Debt
  • Legal Matters

Ask for help

It’s available. And there is hope

Let’s talk about mental health

Start typing and press Enter to search