Staying physically active can have positive effects on mental health. It can reduce stress, anxiety and other mental health issues, and increase self-esteem (Mental Health Foundation, 2020; NHS, 2019).
Mental Health Awareness week (9th – 15th May 2022) provides the perfect opportunity to bring our community together and raise awareness of advocacy and the benefits physical activity can have on your mental health.
Lamp want to encourage you to get active during mental health week to better your mental health and increase your wellbeing by taking part in a 5k activity of your choice. Walking, running, rolling or cycling may be the most common forms of exercise but feel free to be creative. Swimming, rowing or even a simple dog walk may be your thing; or how about combine three activities together over the week for a Lamp Triathlon or doing an activity in fancy dress.
Why not make it a 50km!?! Not only will this distance help us to achieve our target of 384,400KM during the week, it makes for a perfect and challenging fundraiser. If distance isn’t your thing, how about a space themed walk or event?
Can you raise £1 per KM covered?! We aim to raise £1 for every KM achieved to provide much needed support to those struggling to access mental health services across Leicestershire.
To get involved is simple
Step One – Select Your Activity
- Decide on a 5k (or more) activity of your choice
Step Two – Join our groups so you can log your miles
- Join our Strava Lamp 5k Club to get training and log your distances with the community or manually upload youractivity/miles on the Lamp 5k WellGiving Platform
Step Three – Fundraise or Donate
- Start a fundraising page of your activity via JustGiving or Donate £1 for every KM you cover – Click Here to make your fundraising page
- Purchase the Lamp 5K T-Shirt with a donation of the purchase going directly to Lamp
Step Four – Get everyone involved
- Get your household, family, colleagues and communities involved and get active! Share and promote the importance of physical exercise leading to better mental health. Don’t forget to tag Lamp and use those hashtags.
#Lamp5k #mentalhealth #lamp #staywellwithlamp
Step Five- If you want to join any group walks then check out the two below
- University of Leicester Botanic Garden at 11am on Wednesday 11 May (Just Turn Up)
- Clarendon Park to Everards Meadow with the team from Cool as Leicester on Saturday 14 May (To Book Visit – Support Lamp with our 5k pub walk – COOL AS LEICESTER)
Exercise is a natural and effective anti-anxiety treatment. It relieves tension and stress, boosts physicaland mental energy, and enhances well-being through the release of endorphins.
Click here to review our FAQ's
Can I do more than 5k?
Absolutely, every mile will help us achieve our goal of 384,400KM
Where is the event?
This is a virtual event so can be done anywhere you’d like.
How can I log my 5k contribution?
There are many ways to log your contribution. We ask that you log your miles on the Strava Group, the WellGiving Platform, fundraising page or simply get in touch to say you’re getting involved. You can also get involved by simply posting your achievement on social media or simply use the hashtags #lamp5k #stayingwellwithlamp #mentalhealth on your social media pages.
How do I donate or start a fundraiser?
There are lots of fundraising ideas in our downloadable Lamp 5k Fundraising pack but if you wish to donate please use the JustGiving links on this page. Whether its £1 or £50, every penny counts towards helping someone in need struggling getting mental health support.
Take a look at the highlights from our 2021 Lamp 5k Around the World Challenge
Download our Lamp5K Fundraising Pack below or simply donate on the below link
Text LAMP to 70085 to donate £5
Texts cost £5 plus one standard rate message and you’ll be opting in to hear more about our work and fundraising via telephone and SMS. If you’d like to give £5 but do not wish to receive marketing communications, text LAMPNOINFO to 70085.